Monday, February 2, 2009

Zimbabwe

Yesterday a friend of mine and I participated in a fast for Zimbabwe. The point of this fast was to feel what it is like to be "hungry" like those in poverty; to feel what it is like to want something that you can't have. Apathy. It is amazing, the feeling of hunger. I did not get hungry right away, in fact, I did not become hungry until mid-afternoon. Suddenly, I could not eat what I wanted to. I could not drink my daily cups of coffee, eat my clementine, have some cereal, make a sandwich. Nothing. The only thing that I allowed myself was access to water, as much as I wanted. Which I know that in not only Zimbabwe, but any country, those people do not always have water at arms reach. I even turned on the Zimbabwe radio broadcast via internet and listened to them speak of their government and the problems and daily suffering their people face every day and what they are or are not doing about it. This is amazing. This made me want to fast for a week. To really, truly start to feel "hungry." I read the organization web page, and I had to sign my name electronically, put where I'm from (country) and if I wanted to, to write a few words. I read through others' comments and found a site to go to. A song for Zimbabwe. It was beautiful. One woman singing, hoping, caring. At the top of the page, it said to light a candle every evening and think about those in Zimbabwe, to pray for those in Zimbabwe. I do not believe in god and religion, however, I do believe in feelings, true, pure feelings, and if I felt them strong enough, I could send them to those in Zimbabwe, those children, the mothers, the fathers. Everyone. I could send my love. Being a part of this fast was beautiful, in a way. Those people and their lives, listening to the radio broadcast, it was surreal. And for a day, forever, I will know, if only a little, what it is like to be at a disadvantage and be able to do nothing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment