Friday, July 31, 2009

Good Morning

I push the toothbrush across my teeth
Each bristle moves across molars, incisors, canines, etc
I bend down and spit
I watch the water sweep up the watered down paste and foam
Swirl into the drain and disappear forever
I look up to only look straight into my medicine cabinet
Top shelf: pills
Middle shelf: toothpaste, toothbrush, water glass
Bottom shelf: the washers – face and mouth
I put the blue toothbrush on the middle shelf
In front of the toothpaste, next to the cup
Brush head on right side facing me
I reach for the first bottle
Propranalol: take two twice a day
I reach for the second bottle
Omeprazole: take one once a day
Placing three pills on the second shelf
I grab the glass and turn on the cold water faucet
Fill glass half way, pop pills, drink just one gulp of water
Dump the rest out
Drying off the cup so it doesn’t leave a ring I place it on the shelf
To the right of the toothpaste, with the blue toothbrush head to the right facing me
Sighing, I close the door, completing my daily routine
Looking into the mirror I am confronted with dark curls
Dark, almost black, eyes staring back from the big reservoirs they are hosted in
Inspecting my teeth and return to my eyes’ reflection
Staring at myself, running confidence boosting lines through my head as I was taught
I run my fingers through my hair, feeling the twist of each morning curl
Turning around on the purple mat just big enough for two pairs of feet to stand on
One pair stands
Light switch flips and only the morning sunlight enters the bathroom
Streaming one ray through the window and spotlighting all the dust specks
I turn to the left, walk past the toilet; hesitate slightly at the change of floor
White to dark oak
First step into hallway followed by many
Bare feet making the daily walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment